As we’re gearing up for the RE.WORK Connect Summit in San Francisco, we want to start a broader discussion on the opportunities and challenges of smart, connected cities with the Twitter community.
On Tuesday 20th October at 1pm ET / 6pm BST we'll be co-hosting an #IoTuesday Tweet Chat with Ericsson, and will also be joined by a few of the experts speaking at the upcoming summit.
Today’s modern day industrial revolution is being shaped by ubiquitous connectivity, machine to machine (M2M) communications, the Internet of Things (IoT) and open APIs leading to a surge in new applications and services, partnerships and eventual marketplaces. IoT has the potential to transform industry and society much like advances in steam technology, transportation, mass production and communications ushered in the industrial revolution in the 18th and 19th centuries.
Ericsson expects that over 26 billion connected devices will be deployed globally by 2020, representing staggering growth opportunities as sensors, technology and communications come together to completely transform the city landscape for citizens and businesses.
We will explore this and further opportunities and challenges of the connected city during the Tweet Chat. Questions will include:
- What are good examples of smart city technologies already in use and embedded into city infrastructure?
- How can we ensure that data generated across smart city is useful to citizens, business and gov’t?
- How can we humanize the smart city?
- How can we ensure collaboration and process improvements move alongside smart city technologies?
- What are the challenges in smart city governance?
Experts joining the conversation will include:
- Newsha Ghaeli, Research Fellow, Senseable City Lab, MIT @NewshaGhaeli
- Esmeralda Swartz, VP, Marketing Enterprise & Cloud, Ericsson @esmeswartz
- Strawberry Energy: who develop green and smart urban devices to provide people with energy, connectivity and local information in public spaces. Strawberry Smart Benches are now live in Canary Wharf! @e_strawberry
- Larissa Suzuki, PhD Candidate in Software Systems Engineering, UCL @LariRomualdo
- Sudha Jamthe, CEO, IoT Disruptions @sujamthe
- Rob Russell, CTO & Co-Founder, Senseye @senseyeIO
Join us at 1pm ET/ 6pm BST on Tuesday 20th October as we take a closer look at IoT in the smart city transformation.